Friday, February 2, 2024

First Line Friday #115-The Secret Obituary Writer

Happy Friday, my bookish friends!I hope you all have a great day and weekend! First Line Friday is hosted by Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower!!  I am also linking up with Gilion on Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings. This is where you share the beginning of the book that you are reading. This week I am reading The Secret Obituary Writer by Amy Martinsen. 

Obituaries should tell the truth, or at least reveal the cause of death.

Book Beginnings:

Obituaries should tell the truth, or at least reveal the cause of death. That way we don't imagine all kinds of awful scenarios. The truth is less frightening-or at least I used to think so.

At a time when the newspaper delivery business was taking its last breath, the Cutlip Currier chugged along as steadily as the eighty-five-year-old heart of Zumba instructor Gladys Ziggler. I didn't really know Gladys yet, but the fact that she was so fit at her age made me hope I would have the chance to write her obituary and find out more about her.

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

Have you ever wondered what it would be like if obituaries told the truth? The people of a small town in Montana don’t have to wonder because they have Lizzy Langston, the secret obituary writer for the local newspaper. With information she receives at an anonymous email address, she produces mostly humorous, sometimes poignant, but always truthful obituaries that magically appear between sections A and B of the morning paper.

When several cryptic emails question the official details of a man’s death, Lizzy elicits the help of handsome detective Jackson Clark. Together, they travel halfway around the world to search for answers . . . and maybe even find love along the way.

With mystery, romance, and a hefty helping of humor, The Secret Obituary Writer will keep you entertained until the very last page.

Your turn! Grab the current book you are reading and post the first line (or your link) in the comments! Then, click on the icons below and join the fun there too!

 

14 comments:

  1. That's a great first line! I'm already curious about what happens. I'm adding it to my TBR right now, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds so fun! I totally want to read it. And yay...my library has it! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like an interesting book! Have a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The title of this one alone has me interested! I do like the opening you shared. I will have to add this one to my wish list. I hope you are enjoying it, Cindy. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Saturday! 😀
    I’m just beginning While the City Sleeps by Elizabeth Camden. I’ve only read chapters 1 & 2 so far, but they’re very pull-the-reader-in kind of chapters.
    “Keeping the forces of darkness and corruption at bay was a never-ending battle, but Jonathan would pay any price to keep his city safe.”
    I hope you have an excellent weekend! 😀📚

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a good one. What a great beginning! Hope you have a wonderful weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete