Friday, April 12, 2024

Running Mate

Title: Running Mate Audiobook review

Series: Under Kansas Skies #1

Author: Leah Brunner

Narrators: Shaina Summerville & Kyle Mason

Publisher: Leah Brunner Publishing

Genre: Contemporary Romance, Fiction

Source: Kindle own

My Review:

Running Mate is the first book I have read by Leah Brunner. And, I have very mixed feelings which I will try to sort out below.

With a marriage of convenience story you never know what you will get. 

What I liked:

-that Madden was running for Congress and needed a wife

-that Madden was generous with Odette's parents

-Odette's desire to take care of her parents

What I didn't like:

-no chemistry between the characters

-their conversations were very stilted

-some people didn't know the marriage was fake at the start that should have

-Madden runs hot and cold (which made me think that Madden does not deserve Odette. He is an idiot.)

-there was a fade to black scene instead of closed door (it is still clean, just FYI)

-there was a scene near the end that struck me as wrong. I don't want to give a spoiler, but it was out of left field and I kept saying, "No, it's a mistake!" Apparently, it wasn't and I after finishing the book I still don't understand why it happened. I don't know if it sets up something in a later story, but I was not happy and it's not easy for me to get past

Overall, again, very mixed feelings. I am not sure at this point if I will finish the series or not.

Synopsis (Goodreads): 

When making it to congress means faking a marriage… fake it til’ you make it takes on a whole new meaning.

Apparently, the conservative mid-western voters want more than my brains, connections, and good looks to vote me in as a congressman.
I thought I had it all, but missed one glaring requirement: a wife to make me look like the all-American family man Kansas wants.

The lovely Odette Hastings seems to fit the bill. She’s a wholesome small-town girl, and conveniently in need of cash. I’ll give her the money to take care of her elderly parents, and she’ll be the political arm candy I need.

We both win, right?

The only problem is Odette is a little too beautiful, a little too intelligent, and much too distracting. I have to keep my eye on the prize. Even when I’m starting to think there might be something I’d rather have more.

Running Mate was formerly published as A Love Unexpected. This is Book 1 in the Under Kansas Skies series. Running mate is a closed-door romance and can be read as a stand-alone.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your very thoughtful and honest review Cindy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I saw this book on Instagram or maybe just on lists on Goodreads. It looks cute, but after reading your review, it might not be something I'd enjoy. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rissi, I think I might be in the unpopular review camp, but it just wasn't for me. I would read a few more reviews before making a definitive decision.

      Delete