Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Top Ten Tuesday-Elements that will keep me engaged in a story

Happy Tuesday, my bookish friends!! I hope you all are doing well. Today's Top Ten Tuesday topic is Ten Things I Loved About [Insert Book Title Here] (Pick any book and tell us ten things you loved about it!) (submitted by Cathy @ WhatCathyReadNext) I am going to tweak the topic slightly. Instead of picking one book to rave about, I am going to list ten things that will keep me engaged in a book. Top Ten Tuesday is hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl and you can head over there to see what our other bookish friends are up to today. 

Ten Things to keep me engaged in the book I am reading:

  •  witty banter
  •  relatable characters
  • humorous moments
  • characters that communicate well
  • fun family dynamics
  • great chemistry between the characters (and I don't just mean between love interests)
  • a unique story line
  • books that bring out a lot emotions
  • snarky characters (not mean, or rude, or unlikable)
  • literary references I actually get
  • a great cast of side characters
While I could go on I have already surpassed ten, so I will stop there. What is something that will keep you engaged in a story?

What topic did you go with today? I would love for you to share in the comments. To see what other topics our bookish friends are doing this week click on the image below.

24 comments:

  1. Great list my friend.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to all of these...except maybe the snarky character one. Snarkiness can go too far very quickly for me. But I totally agree with the rest. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lark, yes, snarkiness is hit or miss, but the particular book i was thinking of was a hit :)

      Delete
  3. I love your spin on the topic and I also agree with your list. Happy reading! My TTT post https://readwithstefani.com/books-i-could-re-read-forever/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great spin on today's topic! I think you've listed most of reasons that keep me engaged in a story as well. :D

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes to all of these! There have been times when I've connected more with the side characters than the main characters. It's almost like the author didn't focus on the right character.
    Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!
    https://readbakecreate.com/reasons-i-love-listening-to-audiobooks/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, yes, I have found that in some cases as well.

      Delete
  6. Yes! I love this list. I heartily agree with each point. 😊

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for wonderful surprise that awaited me yesterday. Thank you for your faithfulness. Regine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Regine, so glad you got it! I am SO sorry it took me so long to get it to you!

      Delete
  8. Ah witte banter. I do love me some of that. I also love it when there are some great (found) family relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Relatable characters is always nice! I started reading something last week and I don't know that I've ever read about a character that I can relate to so much. On one hand it's interesting and on another, it's a little "scary." ;) Thanks so much for visiting my website this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list! I've been appreciating a humorous narrative recently, which gets at some of the ones that you mention. The books that I've read this year that hit that spot were Project Hail Mary by Andrew Weir, Romantic Comedy by Curtis Sittenfeld, and Mrs. Bird by A. J. Pearce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs. Bird has been on my TBR for a while, it's not a normal read of mine, but I really need to give it a try!

      Delete
  11. Yes to all on your list. I also enjoy quotable passages while reading, I'll highlight them if they're really good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand that! I easily write in nonfiction, but struggle with it in fiction, LOL, I really should highlight in both!

      Delete