Tuesday, November 2, 2021

Top Ten Tuesday-Books that surprised me

 Happy Tuesday, friends! The theme for today's top ten Tuesday is books I would hand to someone who claims to not like reading. This is difficult for me to do because I feel like you really have to know someone and their interests in order to find a book that will be a good fit for them. Plus, the mood they are in as well will affect their enjoyment of a book. So, I decided to tweak this a bit and do 10 books that surprised me-meaning that I enjoyed more than I thought I would (actually have 11 and could have kept going 😉). To find out what our other bookish friends are doing for Top Ten Tuesday check out That Artsy Reader Girl.

I highly recommend listening to this one on audio for your first reading, otherwise you might miss some of the sarcasm and allegory. This is NOT a genre I would normally read from, but it was fabulous!

 Flabbergasted got mixed reviews on Goodreads so I was not sure what to think. I listened to it on audio with my husband and our 16 year old son as we were traveling and we were rolling. Again, maybe listening to it on audio makes for a better experience than the actual reading, but it was hilarious.

 
 
I had never heard of Tom Threadgill but signed up to read his second book for a review because it sounded interesting. So, I went back and read the first book and devoured it! Devoured the second as well and hope there will be a third, again it was fabulous! My son loved them as well, and so did my husband. It is awesome to find authors who appeal to multiple age groups and both genders.

 
Jocelyn Green was another new author to me. Historical fiction is always hit or miss for me. I try to avoid it, but have read a ton of it this year. The reason is because of authors like Jocelyn who write in such a captivating way that I can't help but want more, and this is written about the Chicago fires, not something that has been overdone (or done much at all).

 
I listened to Kara Isaac's Then There was You on a trip where I was traveling by myself. I not only enjoyed the storyline and humor, but it gave me a love of audiobooks, something I rarely ever bothered with. It was engaging, witty, original, and you could physically see what the author was saying (which is not my strong suit)!

 
 Science fiction is not my genre, but I LOVED this Come Back to Me!
The writing is captivating and this story has it all: romance, suspense, strong characters, a well-developed and fast-paced storyline, seamless dual-timeline, and a great balance between dialogue and narration.

 
Again, Castle of Refuge is not a genre I would normally read. I read this one because it IS a genre my daughter would read and I wanted to see if she would enjoy it. It's a fairy tale retelling of The Ugly Duckling. From the first line to the last, Castle of Refuge captivated me. It is Gripping. Compelling. Powerful.  And faith is as natural as breathing. I apparently am missing out by not having read fairy tale retellings before!

 
I do love contemporary fiction so I figured I would enjoy A Flicker of Light. But, I kept putting it off because I figured it would be one that might be a little harder to get into. I was wrong. This one is also powerful. Emotional. Heart-wrenching. Deep. Gripping.

 
I love the Olympics and thought this would be a good read. I loved it!! This book is beautifully crafted. It is poignant and sweet.

 
I adored this children's book that had a lesson everyone needs to learn! Ben fills a need that most people scarcely realize they have, the need to be happy or to find joy in something.

 
While I love Amish fiction, Forbidden Gift, is a debut novel, so you never know what you are going to get. I have read a ton of books featuring the Amish. There is not much that surprises me and most tend to follow similar story lines. However, this one had a very unique storyline, starting with the bishop forbidding Joanna and her district from writing!!


 What did you decide to do for this weeks topic? Have you read any of these books? To see what other topics our bookish friends are doing this week click on the image below.

27 comments:

  1. Haven't read any of these books. But they do look tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree, I like try to ask people what movies, hobbies, stories, etc. they like before recommending a few books.

    I love Phantom Tollbooth! I should have added that to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how you tweaked this week's TTT, and I'm intrigued by many books on your list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good pivot to something kind of like the topic, but also completely original. :)

    My post—https://fiftytwo.blog/2021/11/02/ttt-books-to-recommend-to-non-readers/

    Happy TTT!
    Lori

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lori! It came together better than I thought it would, LOL!

      Delete
  5. I love historical fiction, but I was still surprised by how much I liked Green's books. Christian fiction is always a bit of a hard-sell for me. I like those that feature faith and religion as a normal part of everyday life, but I don't like the ones that are overly cheesy and preachy. I think Green did a decent job of not getting TOO heavy-handed with the Christian elements.

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, YES! Also, I don't like a TON of details and that's what gets me with some historical fiction, I can get bogged down. I have found quite a few to love this year though!!

      Delete
  6. The Phantom Tollbooth is such a great read. My son and I both loved that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suzanne, I totally agree. We've listened to it at least 4 times :) It doesn't really get old.

      Delete
  7. I've found that some books are just better as audiobooks. Like you said, you can get the nuances a bit better with the audiobook that you may miss with a physical copy.

    Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!
    https://readbakecreate.com/bookish-gift-guide-big-spender-edition/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pam, I am glad I found a love of audiobooks :)

      Delete
  8. I love this twist you did with today's topic. Kara Isaac's Then There was You sure sounds good to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy, it was so good. Great banter, wonderful humor, but lots of depth too!

      Delete
  9. I never read The Phantom Tollbooth but I love some of those old Yearling books. Cricket in Time's Square was always a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Greg, I would HIGHLY recommend you fix that, pronto! Especially if you can get the audiobook!

      Delete
    2. I may have to do that!! :)

      Delete
  10. Nice idea for this week's topic. I stuck with the suggested one, but I did find it hard.

    I loved The Phantom Tollbooth. An Unlikely Pair seems like a great read, too.

    Thanks for sharing and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheryl, I was looking at several of the prompts for this month and they all seem a bit difficult to me. I loved An Unlikely Pair.

      Delete
  11. Just the cover of Flabbergasted makes me want to read it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that lime green caddy is one of the stars in the story, LOL!

      Delete
  12. That's a great twist on the topic and a lot of those books certainly could be recommended to people who claim they don't like reading.

    My TTT has a lot of my favourite shorter books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marianne, I will drop in and see your list :)

      Delete
  13. Love when a book can surprise us! Those are always the best kind of reads. :) Also, I'm curious about Jody's new series with time travel but I haven't given it a chance - yet. Thanks so much for visiting Finding Wonderland on this week, Cindy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rissi-Me too, surprises are good. I LOVED Jody's book, 5 stars, would have given it more if I could have. I was blown away.

      Delete