Friday, March 17, 2023

First Line Friday #83-Moving Target

Welcome back to First Line Friday hosted by Carrie at Reading is My SuperPower!!  I am also linking up with Gilion on Rose City Reader for Book Beginnings. This is where you share the beginning of the book that you are reading. To join in the fun grab the book you are reading and leave a comment with the first line (or your link). This week I am reading Moving Target by Lynette Eason. So far, it is a pretty wild ride.

"...for it is written: 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay,' says the Lord."

Book Beginnings:

"...for it is written: 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay,' says the Lord."

The words grabbed the man by the throat. He pushed the half-eaten plate of spaghetti away and studied the passage again. He had read those words before, but never had he understood them to mean what was so clear to him now. 

It had been six years.

Six years and the Lord had not exacted his vengeance. And it suddenly occured to him why.

He was to be the instrument used to ensure justice. He was the one the Lord had chosen and had just now revealed to him how he was to carry out the plans that would set the world right again.

He was the chosen one.

Synopsis (Goodreads):

When Maddy McKay and Quinn Holcombe don't show up for Quinn's surprise birthday party, his friends know that something is very wrong. Their search turns up little beyond evidence that Quinn and Maddy just decided to take off for a long overdue vacation. But it soon becomes apparent that they did not leave of their own accord.

Maddy awakens in a cement room with no idea where she is. But it's not long before she realizes she's in the clutches of a madman exacting revenge by hunting. His prey of choice? Humans. Now Maddy and Quinn must run for their lives, hoping to find their killer before the next game begins. Because if they don't win this game, they die.

Your turn! Grab the current book you are reading and post the first line (or your link) in the comments! Then, click on the icons below and join the fun there too!

 

24 comments:

  1. Interesting! Happy St. Patrick's Day, Cindy 🍀

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great beginning! I loved the first two books in this series but somehow never got around to this one. Hope you enjoy it! Have a great weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ashley, this one was pretty wild! I had not finished the series either, but I have the last one from the library and plan to read it soon! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  3. Have a great day. Regine
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Friday!
    I'm currently reading Everything is Just Beginning by Erin Bartels. It's pretty awesome!
    "How about 492?
    Ugh."
    I looked up from the clipboard in my lap. "You don't like The Replacements?"
    I hope you have a really excellent weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nicole, I read it a little while back. I hope you enjoy it! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  5. Wow... that beginning sure pulled me into the book and that synopsis! This series and the author both are new to me..
    Here is my Friday post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is such a good series! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  6. Oh wow, reading the beginning brought back the book for me! This one was memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a great beginning. It makes me intrigued to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Intense! I missed this one but loved the first one in the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janet, I had read the first one and forgot, so recently read it again. Now, I am trying to finish the series :)

      Delete

  9. My first line this week comes from Forged in Live by Mary Connealy:
    August 1870. Pine Valley, Wyoming

    A bullet slammed into the side of the stagecoach carrying Mariah Stover, her pa, and her older brother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, this one is really popular right now. I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  10. That looks like a good one! I'm reading Yosemite Firestorm by Tanya Stowe. The first line is: "Olivia Chatham pulled her ranger Jeep into the parking lot of the hiking trail near Yosemite's Tuolumne Meadows and groaned."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not heard of that one! I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete