Saturday, August 22, 2026

Stacking the Shelves #220 Sunday Post #217 Sunday Salon #211

Hey, my bookish friends!!  How are you all doing? We had a blast at the concerts last weekend, it was just what we needed. This was a hard week, lots of stress, and with drama in my book club, and the final word is that we dissolved it after three years. I will miss it, but I am thankful for the years we had. I have no idea what we plan to do this weekend (recover?), but I won't be posting next weekend, we will be in NC having a quick visit with my husband's family. What are your plans for the weekend? 

Stacking The Shelves is all about sharing the books you are adding to your  shelves, may it be physical or virtual. This means you can include books you buy in physical store or online, books you borrow from friends or the library, review books, gifts and of course ebooks! And audiobooks. The Stacking the Shelves meme is hosted at Reading Reality.

Library Treasures: 
 

Bought: 

Book Mail: Won from Kav

Kindle Freebies: None

Other updates:

I finished five books and DNFed one this week. I am constantly asked how I finish so many books a week. Well, I listen to audiobooks when I commute to work, and take my morning walks. Currently I am finishing about one a week. Then, I have several nonfiction books going at the same time, and they take me weeks to finish, but because I am in several, I might finish one this week, and one next week. I also read at least an hour before bedtime. There is typically not a day that goes by that I don't read/listen at least 2 hours out of my day. That is progress that adds up. I am currently in the middle of reading seven books, five are nonfiction (two are commentaries, and they take months to go through). On another note, I am not technically participating in the Classics Spin Challenge, but the number spun was 18, and The Sovereignty of God is 18 on my list, so I am going to attempt to read it by October (posting here so I am accountable, LOL!).

What you might have missed on the blog this week:

Book Review: Hope for Tomorrow by Elizabeth Maddrey

TTT: Book Series Catchup

Book Review: Cool Beans by Erynn Mangum

Book Review: The Way It Should Be by Christina Suzann Nelson

Book Review: Latte Daze by Erynn Mangum

What books have you added to your physical or virtual bookshelves? I would love to hear from you. Click on the icons below to join in on the fun. Have a great weekend! 

    Sunday Post

38 comments:

  1. Oof, always a shame when something comes to an end like that, re: the book club. Hope you do indeed have some restful recovery time this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you shared how you read. I struggle not to compare myself to others but I am always curious about how some manage their time to finish books. I agree that just committing to reading an hour a day really adds up. As do those audiobooks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shellie, we all have seasons where we can read more. When my mom passed I barely read a page in 2 weeks. Reading is important to me and I make time for it. It is hard to compare, there are people who read way more than I do, and I question it as well, LOL! Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Oh that is so sad about your book club Cindy. I hope you have a less stressful week and a restorative long weekend away.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for a unofficial Classics Club spin! That's fun. It's wonderful that you can be grateful for three years of a book club. People ask me all the time how I read so many books in a year, and I generally tell them that I set aside my evening time for reading when I was working, and now that I'm retired, I read whenever I have a spare ten minutes to settle into a chair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb, exactly! And, all those moments add up :)

      Delete
  5. Oh no. I am sorry to hear that about your book club, and that you had a stressful week. That stinks.

    The Lumberjack book looks really cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erine, doesn't it?! I am looking forward to it.

      Delete
  6. I am sorry to hear about your book club and the stressful week. Hopefully next week is much better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I’m sorry your book club came to an end after three years, but it sounds like you have some good memories from it to hold onto. I hope your weekend gives you a chance to relax and recover after such a stressful week. Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bummer about the book club drama :( The older I get, the harder it is to meet up with friends - book club is one of the few constants I have...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Becki, same, that and Bible Study, it was a huge blow. I will be grieving that for a while.

      Delete
  9. I just bought a couple copies of A Grief Observed. Yes, I lost my cat, but that wasn't why I bought it. A friend lost her mom and I know I will need to face grief with the loss of my parents one day so I wanted some support for them. It came in handy that the cat died right afterward but I believe this is more about the grief of losing a human loved one.
    Sorry about the book club. Drama seems to be common in a lot of groups lately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, yes, Lewis lost his wife, so his grief is different from the loss of a parent, or pet, but I am sure you will still find some things that will bring you company. It is nice when someone can express exactly what you have been struggling to put into words.

      Delete
  10. North Carolina this time of year must be very nice. Have a nice trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Harvee, I am hoping for lots of sunshine!

      Delete
  11. I'm so sorry to hear your book club dissolved! I hope you can find/start another one if that's what you would like to do :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karis, for sure not at this point! Too raw.

      Delete
  12. Ugh... I'm sorry to hear about your book club.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry to hear about the demise of your book club and that last week was so stressful. I hope this one is an easier, nicer week for you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So glad you had fun at the concerts. Sorry to hear about the stress and the book club ending. Maybe you will find another one. I've never read A Grief Observed, but I've heard it is wonderful. Hope you have a blessed week.

    https://thebookconnectionccm.blogspot.com/2026/08/its-monday-what-are-you-reading-and.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cheryl. I started this one 3ish years ago, it will be a while before I do anything with a book club again.

      Delete
  15. Ooh! Murders in the Rue Morgue is on my classics list. I am eager to hear what you think. Enjoy your trip to your in-laws.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sorry to hear about your book club dramas. It maybe a good thing that the group has dissolved!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Replies
    1. Emma, LOL, I wonder where I heard about it from?!

      Delete
  18. So sorry to hear about the dissolution of your book club in dramatic circumstances - and I completely understand how raw you're feeling. I found myself unable to go to a writing group I'd been attending due to my health, so for at least 6 months I made sure that I had an extra special treat planned for that evening. It helped a bit... I hope you're having a good week).

    ReplyDelete
  19. Drama At Book Club would be a great title for a book!

    ReplyDelete